Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Affirmation

There's a song by Savage Garden called "Affirmation" that I really like. It's one of those songs that actually says something. It goes something like this:

I believe the sun should never set upon an argument
I believe we place our happiness in other people's hands
I believe that junk food tastes so good because it's bad for you
I believe your parents did the best job they knew how to do
I believe that beauty magazines promote low self-esteem
I believe I'm loved when I'm completely by myself alone

(Chorus)
I believe in Karma what you give is what you get returned
I believe you can't appreciate real love until you've been burned
I believe the grass is no more greener on the other side
I believe you don't know what you've got until you say goodbye

I believe you can't control or choose your sexuality
I believe that trust is more important than monogamy
I believe your most attractive features are your heart and soul
I believe that family is worth more than money or gold
I believe the struggle for financial freedom is unfair
I believe the only ones who disagree are millionaires

(Chorus)

I believe forgiveness is the key to your unhappiness
I believe that wedded bliss negates the need to be undressed
I believe that God does not endorse TV evangelists
I believe in love surviving death into eternity

(Chorus X2)
I agree with just about everything they say in that song. Just about. I have a problem with two lines there, though.

Firstly, "I believe forgiveness is the key to your unhappiness." Honestly, I'd say quite the opposite. Being able to forgive people is key to being happy. If you can't forgive people for the mistakes that they've made, then you'll constantly be bitter about them. That's no way to live your life.

Secondly, "I believe that trust is more important then monogamy." I certainly agree, taking the statement at face value. But it seems obvious, to me at least, that they're referring to the concept of "open relationships" (i.e. you're with someone and you have sex with them, but you're also allowed to have sex with other people "as long as no emotions are involved"). I guess for the most part all I can really say about "open relationships" is "to each his own," because I really don't understand how that's a workable relationship model at all. I guess I just believe that sex without emotional involvement is pointless, and something of a disgrace to your body.

But overall, it's a great song!

1 comment:

Rainier96 said...

I agree absolutely with you on all points.

I haven't heard the song, but I like the lyrics, and think they contain a lot of truth. And I strongly agree with your two disagreements.

I might add that I also have some questions about "I believe we place our happiness in other people's hands." True to a large extent, but don't you think we sometimes need to be happy in and of ourselves, regardless of others? I may actually be missing the meaning of the line, but that just occurred to me.